Travel Basketball Tryouts for Boys 3rd Grade and Girls 4th Grade coming soon
HYAA will be holding travel team tryouts for the Boys 3rd grade and for the Girls 4th grade at the end of September and early October
(exact schedule listed below). With sufficient interest, qualified coaching volunteers and available gym time we will also consider forming B teams
based on the tryouts. Travel teams are highly competitive, there will need to be some cuts as part of the evaluation process and there is no guaranteed
playing time. In addition, travel players are expected to attend a minimum of 75% of their practices and games, failure to achieve this minimum level of
participation can significantly affect playing time.
You must complete the online registration form no later
than Friday, September 21st.
Travel Basketball Tryout Schedule
The tryout schedule occasionally changes due to unforeseen conflicts, please check back throughout the month to ensure you have the right times.
Fri 9/28 | 6:00-7:30 | Village New
Fri 10/5 | 5:00-6:30 | Village New
Tue 9/25 | 6:30-8:00 | Village New
Tue 10/2 | 6:30-8:00PM | Village New
Travel Basketball Tryout Guidance
- Each tryout will consist of two 90 minute sessions.
- Participants are strongly encouraged to participate in both days of the tryout.
- B teams, if formed, will be picked based upon the two sessions (not separate tryouts).
- Players should arrive 15 minutes before the start time to warm up.
- Players must wear the jersey color and number that they entered on the registration form so that the player can be quickly and accurately
- Parents who want to watch the tryout are asked to sit in the bleachers and refrain from cheering and coaching the players during the tryout.
- Selection is based upon a number of factors that include dribbling, speed, agility, shooting, teamwork, “coachability”, defensive skills, as well as
overall basketball acumen.
- Selection is made by 1-2 independent evaluators (usually a commissioner) in tandem with the coach (if known). If the coach is not yet known, then
the selection will be made solely by the independent evaluators.
Travel Basketball Coaching Application
HYAA has an open coaching application process for all its travel basketball teams. If you have an interest in coaching one of the teams, please
submit your coaching application to John Polivka at
John.Polivka@comcast.net by September 21st.
schedules for ALL grades
see the full schedule for any given day
Indian Hill Cafetorium
Holmdel HS Main and New Gyms
|Registration Begins -
Teamsnap registration form
|Early Registration Ends
|Rutgers S.A.F.E.T.Y. Course
||Oct 3 - reserve a seat
|Coaches / League Presidents Meeting
Cafeteria - 7pm
>> New refs need to attend all 3
>> Returning refs need to attend 1
|Playoffs Start - grade 3 and up
Injury Report Form
In case of an injury sustained during an HYAA event, please print and complete the Injury
Report Form and return it to the HYAA office. Please complete all relevant parts of the form.
All Leagues - General Rules
League Specific Rules
Player Ranking Template
Basketball Commissioners' Responsibilities
Here are some great web sites with coaching info and ideas for drills.
Check 'em out!